Thursday, May 8, 2014

Perseverance

So you have decided today is the day!! You are going to lose weight and get healthy! You already have a membership to your local gym that has been going to waste for months or maybe even years like mine had. First week goes by and you are doing awesome! No ice cream after dinner and the water intake has doubled. Weight in day comes and you are envisioning big weight loss numbers!! You step on to see how much your hard work has paid off and the numbers are the EXACT SAME as day one!! Ok Ok no worries you think to yourself I got this and you start week 2. At the end of your second week you step on the scale again only to see the same stinking number as day one. Week's 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 are the same. No weight loss. Frustrating right? You want to quit and eat cake right? Well this is exactly what happened to me.      I have been overweight for 14 years since the birth of my first son and I have tried unsuccessfully to lose weight several times. I have always failed and that my friend can be hard on the self esteem. In June 2012 I changed my goals so instead of being obsessed with losing weight I wanted to be able to run a 5k with my oldest son. If I lost weight great, but if I didn't that would be ok because I knew every day I was off the couch was a step in the right direction. As I mentioned previously I went 7 weeks with no weight loss. I worked out at a minimum of 3 days a week and drastically changed my eating habits ( good bye taco bell drive thru- moment of silence for that.....) and I expected the 40 lbs I needed to lose to get to my goal weight would basically slide right off my body. I had been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that damaged my thyroid so I knew it would be harder for me to lose weight than your average gal, but now that I was putting the effort in surely it would work!  In those 7 weeks that scale did not move, but I could tell I was getting stronger and that my endurance was increasing. I could also tell that I was in fact getting smaller.
        June 18, 2013 was my one year anniversary of day 1 of couch to 5 k and my scale is only 16 lbs lighter. If I were on a weight loss show I would have been kicked off a long time ago for that tiny number! Those shows are great for motivation and tips, but when we compare ourselves to their drastic numbers it can be very discouraging. Many times I have literally cried to God asking him "why can't I lose this weight!? Why do I have to be the fat twin ( a position no one wants)? Why do I have to work so flipping hard when others are already at their goals in half the time!?? Why is that scale not moving!? " I know that God does not desire to see us unhappy, or unhealthy, or overweight just as we parents do not desire to see our children hurting. I know he has plans for me and maybe that is to help motivate those who are struggling to lose the weight and it is not falling off of them, or maybe it is for me to take this entire year to really make sure I have my act together and I won't fall off the "bandwagon" when things get tough. I know the numbers on my scale do not define me.  I know I have to earn my body and take it one day at a time. I know I am stronger, healthier, more confident, more able to keep up with my children, adding years to my life, setting good examples for my kids, encouraging others, down 2 pants sizes and 10 inches off my waist and I know that I worked so hard for those 16 lbs!! It did not take a day, week, or probably even  a year for your body to get in the shape it is in so it will take some time to get it in the shape you want. If you fail today and give into that cake that is ok just start fresh tomorrow. Don't beat yourself up on the times you fail. Each day is a new day and just as God forgives us each time we fail we have to forgive ourselves each time as well. If you are deciding to start today then I am already so proud of you and your decision! Be proud of yourself!! You are taking that first step which is always the hardest! Be sure to take measurements and do not weigh yourself everyday! Find friends to help keep you on the right track and ones that will not bring you the cake I mentioned. I read a thing once that said "six months from now will you regret not starting today?" Make today the start of your journey and keep pushing forward.



James 1:12
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

Galatians 6:9
And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

Melinda Nicodemus 

No comments:

Post a Comment